Attendees checked in so far: 415
RIPE 71 attendees were welcomed to Bucharest with unseasonably warm weather, a nice change for a November meeting.
Day 1 began with parallel tutorials: NetDevOps – Ansible 101 to Network Nirvana, Introduction to RIPE Meetings and RIPE Database Tips and Tricks. The Newcomers Introduction session gave first-time attendees some insight into “RIPE Meeting 101” with help from RIPE NCC Managing Director Axel Pawlik and RIPE Chair Hans Petter Holen.
The meeting began after lunch (if you were still hungry after all the food in the coffee break!) with an afternoon of plenary presentations.
Opening Plenary highlights included:
- The ins and outs of mobile satellite Internet, including maritime connectivity services and the finer points of geolocation
- A lively presentation on automatic certification issuance that instigated a discussion on DANE’s role in security
- Lightning talks about the Internet outage in Amsterdam during RIPE 70 and BGP security at IXPs
The last plenary session of the day focused on DDoS attacks. Highlights included:
- How to capture them for later analysis
- How to detect and combat them using FastNetMon
- FastNetMon use cases
The session concluded with a lightning talk on connecting 100Gbit/s links, what’s possible and what’s not.
The first socials of the meeting week took place in the hotel. Attendees mingled with the RIPE NCC Executive Board and then celebrated the end of a great meeting day at the Welcome Drinks.